Pumpkin carving can be a challenge if you have younger children—everyone loves to help choose a design, but then there’s all that sawing and all that pumpkin gunk. When you create pom pom pumpkins with the kids instead, you’ll have festive décor throughout the season (and seasons to come) without the mess. And thanks to a special pom pom tool, they are fun and easy for kids to make. An added treat for parents: working with yarn helps build fine motor skills needed for writing.
You Will Need:
- Boye’s Pom Pom Tassel Maker
- Orange yarn
- Sharp scissors
- Green ribbon or felt for leaves
- Twigs or wood pieces for stems
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Make pom poms by hand or, for a quicker option, use the Pom Pom Tassel Maker. Keep them all the same size or make a few different sizes. Once the pom poms are made, trim any stray or long pieces of yarn to make them even.
- Cut leaf shapes from felt or ribbon. An adult can use the hot glue gun to adhere leaves to the twig stems and then glue the stems to the pom poms. You can also add twine here if you want to create vines.
- Cut a piece of twine about three feet long. Tie the pumpkins on the twine by their stems.
- Hang the garland on the mantle, in a doorway, or anywhere you want to add a touch of autumn décor.
Make pumpkin pom poms for 100 percent sugar-free Halloween treats.
Create a party game by hiding the pumpkin pom poms for young guests to find.
Keep the pumpkin pom pom for Thanksgiving table decorations.