With the emergence of golden leaves and chilly weather comes one of fall’s most anticipated arrivals: pumpkin. And while fan favorites tend to include pumpkin pie, hot-spiced beverages, and cookies, there’s also a sweet and healthy alternative—pumpkin granola. Pack it for a quick kid-friendly snack in the lunchbox or top off a yogurt with a sprinkle or two. This simple recipe is easy enough to do with even the littlest kitchen helpers.
Sweet and Crunchy Pumpkin Granola
2 cups rolled oats
1¼ cups pumpkin seeds
1¼ cups sunflower seeds
¾ cup raisins
1½ tablespoons cinnamon
2½ tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
1½ cups pumpkin puree
1¼ cups maple syrup (can substitute honey or agave syrup)
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1 cup quinoa
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients. This step is great for the kids to practice measuring. (Even if the dry ingredients are slightly off, you”ll still end up with a tasty treat.)
3. Fold dry and wet ingredients together until everything is evenly coated.
4. Cover a large baking sheet with aluminum foil, shiny side down. Pour the mixture evenly onto the large baking sheet. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until browned, tossing the mixture every 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Let the granola cool, then break apart any large chunks. Store in an airtight container (such as a canning jar). Snack and enjoy.