10 Festive Treats to Help You Sparkle This Season
Treat yourself to a holiday time-out.
The holiday season can be total chaos for moms. Don’t get bitten by the overcommitment bug this year; try to carve out daily breaks and do something thoughtful just for you. This will help you think straight when requests for your time keep pouring in.
And don’t make the mistake of waiting for others to give you the gifts that turn on your holiday cheer. Give gifts to yourself first, and watch how much more generous you feel toward others. You will smile all holiday season long, once you remember to inspire yourself daily.
- Add the smell of bliss. Spritz a little bit of evergreen, sugar cookie, or eggnog latte room spray in the main rooms of your home. Your holiday spirit will perk right up and start to boogie, no further effort required. Purchase sprays at your local health food store or mix your own using 20 drops of essential oil, 2 ounces distilled water, and 2 ounces vodka in tinted glass spray bottles.
- ‘Nog your coffee. Make your own eggnog latte: Mix a half-cup of fresh eggnog with a quarter-cup of 2 percent milk. Steam until hot and frothy or heat in the microwave. Pour over two shots of fresh espresso or a half a cup of coffee brewed double-strength. Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with nutmeg. Yummy!
- Snip snowflakes for meditation. Get some plain white paper, fold it up into whatever shapes you like, and cut some sections out of it to make paper snowflakes. The more you cut, the more delicate the results, remember? Tape your snowflakes up in windows where they will be visible to folks outside, so you can bring a smile to their faces, too.
- Give yourself a quick stretch. All you need is a doorway and a rug. Stick out your arm and bend it straight up at the elbow. Lay your forearm on the doorjamb and twist your body gently away from your arm until you feel the stretch across your right shoulder and down the right side of your back. Ahhh…That feels good. Next, lie on your stomach on the rug and prop your upper body up slowly by straightening your arms. Push your hips down into the carpet as you arch your back as much as you can, stretching your upper body up and back. You will feel like a million bucks after a 10-minute stretch.
- Curl up with a good book. You don’t have time to curl up with a book during the busiest time of year? But that’s precisely why you must do it. Reading slows us down and lets us settle in. Without a book to read, you might not ever slow down all holiday season. No matter how many pages you turn, let your good read remind you that tuning out the world every so often is good for the soul.
- Pamper your skin. Turn your bathroom into a skin-softening getaway by stocking up on exfoliation brushes and cloths. Then whip up a quick and minty scrub using a half-cup of sugar, a half-cup of coconut oil, and 10 drops of peppermint essential oil. Use a generous amount and rub gently all over to kiss that flaky skin goodbye. You’ll also get a tiny boost of energy from the smell of mint.
- Don’t resist the weather. If you have the right gear for cold-weather outings, you can enjoy being out and about as much as the rest of the year. Sturdy walking boots, warm texting gloves, a comfortable hat, and a lightweight winter coat with a built-in muffler will keep you smiling as you brave the weather to get daily fresh air.
- Make a list and check it twice. You can put anything in the world you want on your list. As you are making it, pretend the sky really is the limit. What do you dream of receiving? Write it down. Make each dream a wish. You deserve it all and more.
- Watch an old favorite. Most of us have that one favorite flick (or more) that makes it feel like the holidays have arrived. Whether it’s Love, Actually, It’s a Wonderful Life, The Holiday, Christmas Vacation, or a holiday episode of Gilmore Girls, a little quality time with your favorite spot on the couch will put you in a festive mood.
- Turn up the sparkle. Twinkle up your finger and toe nails with some sparkle polish. Whites, silvers, and golds all match the season. For more drama, go for reds, dark blues, and even blacks that shimmer. Don’t forget a base and topcoat to protect your nails.