Ten-year-old Hannah Skalicky, of Fort Collins, was among more than 1,200 kids across the U.S. who submitted original recipes to the Healthy Lunchtime Challenge, a nationwide recipe challenge for 8- to 12-year-olds that promotes cooking and healthy eating. Hannah’s recipe, which features Colorado peaches in an Indian dish, was selected as the winning recipe among Colorado entries.
Hannah and other winning junior chefs will attend a lunch with First Lady Michelle Obama on July 14, including a stop in the White House Kitchen Garden. Find this and more winning recipes in a free downloadable and printable e-cookbook, available on July 14 at pbs.org/lunchtimechallenge.
Hannah’s Sweet and Savory Chicken and Peaches
By Hannah Skalicky of Fort Collins
“Every year since I was 4 years old, I have helped my dad at the Rotary Peach Festival,” says Hannah. “I learned how to make grilled peaches from my Dad who grills a lot. The curried chicken recipe was created because I wanted to make an Indian dish. My friend’s mom is Indian and teaches cooking classes that include lots of curry and cumin, which are native to India. She has inspired me to experiment while cooking. These two foods complement each other and make for a delicious summer lunch.”
Makes 4 Servings. 594 calories 10g fat 55g carbohydrates 71g protein
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 peaches, pitted and halved
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 8-ounce package sliced mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Gala apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 21/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups cooked basmati, white or brown rice
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- Optional toppings: Raisins, cashews, peanuts, sliced bell pepper
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Season each chicken breast with 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, salt and pepper, and add to the grill. Cook for 6 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Remove chicken then add peach halves, cut side down, and cover. Grill until peaches are soft and tender, about 4 minutes. Remove from the grill, plate and drizzle with honey.
- In a large nonstick pan, warm oil over medium heat. Add onion, mushrooms and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender. Add 3/4 cup broth, cinnamon and apple to pan and warm through.
- In a blender, combine milk, flour, remaining 1 teaspoon curry powder, ¼ cup broth, oregano, salt and pepper to taste. Blend until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a small saucepan, heat over medium heat, continuously stirring with a whisk, until slightly thickened.
- Divide the cooked rice and chicken among 4 plates. Top chicken with vegetables and sauce. Arrange cucumbers along rim. Serve with grilled peaches.