Gaga for Sophie la Girafe
You’ve probably seen her on store shelves, or perhaps she’s already made it into your cart. If you haven’t already met her, this is Sophie—your baby’s soon-to-be-favorite toy.
She’s cute, she squeaks, and babies go gaga for her—but, we found ourselves asking, what’s all the hype? We took a closer look at everyone’s favorite little giraffe to see what all the fuss is about.
Born in 1961, Sophie hails from Rumilly, France, where she continues to be handcrafted today. Made from 100 percent natural rubber derived from the sap of the Hevea tree, Sophie has a texture, and a scent, that’s unlike any other. She’s safe to squish and gnaw on—her features are painted with food grade dye—and her design is perfect for tiny hands and mouths. sophiethegiraffe-usa.com
- Her soft texture and chewable parts (ears, horns, legs) are perfect for sore gums.
- Her long neck and legs are easy for baby to hold on to.
- The dark and light contrast of her spots visually stimulate baby.
- Her natural rubber has a distinct scent (of faint vanilla in our opinion), which makes her stand out in the toy bin.
- Her body squeaks! Need we say more?
Here are a few products we think baby will love.
- Boppy’s tummy time to-go pad is sure to be a whale-ing good time. Simply fold and go for portable on-the-go fun. $30, boppy.com
- Purl Lamb’s organic hoodies and sweats are oh-so-cute and comfy and come in bright prints for both girls and boys. $26-$44, purllamb.com
- Boon’s pulp silicone feeders are perfect for little hands and make self-feeding easy. $6, booninc.com
Start building baby’s library with these fun books.
- Introduce baby to shapes, colors, animals, and more with DK’s 100 First Words board book. $10, dk.com
- Point out facial expressions and teach baby how to recognize different emotions with Making Faces: A First Book of Emotions from Abrams Appleseed. $8, abramsbooks.com
- Gotta Go, Buffalo by Kevin and Haily Meyers is a cute lift-the-flap book that teaches kids fun goodbyes. $13, lucydarling.com
Diaper Bag Redeux
Here are three stylish options for moms and dads alike.
Convert your favorite L.L. Bean tote into a functional parenting bag with this handy diaper tote insert. The insert has interior and exterior pockets for easy organizing and also includes a removable changing pad. $30 (tote not included), llbean.com
For a bag that doesn’t scream “diaper bag” check out Product of the North’s Westin convertible backpack/tote, which includes a removable changing mat and can be worn as a backpack or shoulder bag. $170, productofthenorth.com
Stylish and functional, Skip Hop’s duo signature diaper bag (which comes in 13 fun designs) is a versatile, hard working solution for toting baby’s essentials around town. $65, skiphop.com
Books for Mom and Dad
These books are perfect for new and expecting parents.
- Boost Your Breast Milk: An All-In-One Guide for Nursing Mothers to Build a Healthy Milk Supply by Alicia C. Simpson offers helpful tips and recipes for breastfeeding moms. $19, workman.com
- For a quick laugh, check out New Mom Comics: The First Year by Alison Wong, a funny (and relatable) book about what to expect. $15, newmomcomics.com
- Diaper Dude: The Ultimate Dad’s Guide to Surviving the First Two Years by Chris Pegula and Frank Meyer teaches dads a thing or two about fatherhood, with words of wisdom from two men who”ve been there. $15, penguin.com