Preserve your Mother’s Day bouquet by turning your favorite blossoms into pressed, dried flowers with just a few supplies and (surprise!) your microwave. Make the preserved flowers even more special by using them to create memorable crafts. Some of our favorites: Place a delicate bloom inside a locket, frame flowers and leaves to put on display, or laminate a tiny bouquet on paper to create your own bookmark.
- Bouquet of flowers (Small flowers with a single layer of petals work best)
- Sheets of copy paper
- Paper towels
- One brick or tile
- Trim flowers off of their stems, keeping scissors as close to the base of the bud as possible.
- Fold a piece of regular copy paper in half, unfold and place the flowers inside. Then, fold the paper back over to cover.
- Sandwich the folded paper between two paper towels and place it in the microwave.
- Place a brick or tile on top and heat for one minute to one minute and 30 seconds, depending on your microwave.
- Carefully remove the brick or tile with a hot pad before slowly pulling back your paper to reveal your dried, pressed flowers.