Kids around Denver have an opportunity to make a big difference through a little message this Valentine’s Day. Bring kids to Aspen Grove Shopping Center from now until February 7 to create heartfelt cards for kids staying at Children’s Hospital Colorado South Campus. Stop by Rox Arts Gallery during business hours and pick up kits with everything needed to make a Valentine. Assemble the cards and pop them in the big red mailbox at the shopping center, located near Timbuk Toys.
Through the Love Letter Project, Aspen Grove’s goal is to distribute more than 400 cards for Children’s Colorado patients in time for Valentine’s Day. “We are encouraging groups to participate, like Girl Scouts or Cub Scouts, and they can drop off the cards all at once,” says Allysen Santilli, marketing manager of Aspen Grove. Groups do not have to pick up card kits to participate; it’s fine to use supplies you have on-hand. Bags of multiple cards that don’t fit through the mail slot can be turned in at Rox Arts Gallery. Can’t make it to Aspen Grove? Groups can also mail cards to: Aspen Grove Management Office, 7301 S. Santa Fe Dr., Ste. 550, Littleton, Colorado 80120.
This is Aspen Grove’s third year of collecting and distributing messages of love for people in the community. Last year, first responders received the cards. “Every year we look forward to giving back through the Love Letter Project and this year these patients will know our community is especially thinking of them,” says Santilli.
Guidelines for Creating Cards
- Design cards with a Valentine’s Day theme.
- Include messages of love and support only. Avoid “get well” or “feel better soon,” as patients are in the hospital for a variety of reasons.
- Do not attach 3D embellishments or candy to the cards; decorate only with crayons, stickers, paper, and other flat materials.
- Please do not include religious references.
- Drop off cards in Aspen Grove’s red mailbox no later than February 7 so they can be quarantined for safe delivery on Valentine’s Day.
Other Ways to Participate
- Red Hen Createry will host a free card-making workshop on January 30, at 1 p.m. Supplies for card making will also be available during Mr. Paul Storytime on January 28 and February 4, at 10:30 a.m.
- Purchase items from Children’s Colorado’s South Campus wish list and drop them off at Aspen Grove’s Timbuk Toys. Many wish list items can be purchased at Timbuk Toys.