As the temperatures get cooler and the autumn colors start blanketing our streets, I get more and more excited to dust off my Crock-Pot and start preparing some warm and tasty fall meals for the family.
Every October I have a fun feature on the Mix Morning Show called “Crocktober,” where I post some of my most favorite slow cooker recipes for listeners to download and enjoy. Here’s an easy recipe for a Halloween dessert; I make it every October 31 when my wife and I have family over for our spooky festivities. Enjoy!
Pumpkin Crock Cake
- 1 box of yellow cake mix (16 – 18 oz)
- 1 box instant vanilla pudding mix (3.9 oz)
- 1 stick of melted butter
- 1-½ cups of milk
- 1 can of plain (unseasoned) pumpkin puree (15 oz)
- Parchment paper
- 1 bottle of Hershey’s caramel sauce
- Vanilla ice cream (I recommend Dreyer’s Slow Churned Vanilla Bean)
- Take the parchment paper and line the sides and bottom of your slow cooker.
- Mix together in a separate bowl the cake mix, canned pumpkin, vanilla pudding, melted butter and milk. Pour mixture from bowl into your slow cooker and smooth it out with a spoon or spatula.
- Cooking time can vary depending on the size and wattage of your slow cooker. I find cooking on low for about 3 hours gets the job done. Make sure you don’t over-cook it. If it’s a little moist in the middle – that’s just fine!
- Serve in fun Halloween cups with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top and a drizzle of caramel syrup.